When is a QDRO or other documentation needed to transfer assets after divorce?

We request that you send any supplemental documentation that you have, whether it be a QDRO, marriage settlement agreement, or property settlement agreement.

You should not need to create any supplemental documentation for Betterment that was not already created through your divorce process with your attorney, as long as the division of assets is clearly outlined in your divorce decree and your existing supplemental documentation.

If the division of assets is not clearly and explicitly defined in either your divorce decree or supplemental documentation, we will need court-approved documentation that explicitly identifies the amounts and account numbers you wish for Betterment to transfer.