How do I change the amount of my paycheck, or deferral, that I contribute to my 401(k)?

To change the amount that you contribute to your 401(k), simply log in to your Betterment 401(k) account, click Transfers, choose Pending Transfers, and then select “Edit contribution rate”.

You can either choose a $ (fixed dollar) deferral amount or a % (percentage) of your paycheck.

It takes one to two payroll cycles for your new rate to be effective.

As you may know, many plans allow you to make two types of contributions to your 401(k) – Traditional and Roth. Although Betterment takes both your Roth and Traditional contributions into account when helping you prepare for retirement, they are independent from each other in your Betterment dashboard, so make sure to modify your contribution rate for each separately.