Betterment’s Tax Coordination service is our fully automated version of an investment strategy known as asset location—and it comes at no extra cost to you.
Once you’ve set up your Tax-Coordinated Portfolio (TCP), we will manage your assets as a single portfolio across all included legal accounts, using every dividend and deposit to optimize the location of the assets. We’ll also rebalance in order to improve your asset location when we see opportunities to do so—without causing taxes.
We’ll generally place assets that we expect to be taxed at higher rates in your tax-advantaged accounts (IRAs and 401(k)s), which have big tax breaks. We’ll generally place assets that we expect to be taxed at lower rates in your taxable account, since you’ll owe taxes on dividends and any realized capital gains each year.
You could benefit from Tax Coordination if…
- You are investing in at least two of the following types of Betterment accounts for retirement:
- Individual Taxable account [Retirement or General Investing]
- Tax-deferred account [Traditional IRA, SEP IRA, or Betterment for Business 401(k)]
- Tax-exempt account [Roth IRA or Betterment for Business Roth 401(k)]
- You are investing for the long term and your coordinated goals have the same time horizon.
We don’t recommend Tax Coordination if…
- Your federal marginal tax bracket is 12% or below.
- The accounts you plan to coordinate have different time horizons.
- You plan to make a significant withdrawal in the near future from only one of the goals you are considering including in your Tax-Coordinated Portfolio.
Convert or Recharacterize—What’s the Difference For Your IRA?
If conversions and recharacterizations are foreign to you, don’t worry. We’re here to help you decipher IRS jargon and learn the differences between the two.
Reducing Your Biggest Retirement Expense: Where You Live
You’ll probably want to retire somewhere different than where you live right now. Let’s make that part of your retirement plan.
How to Roll Over A 401(k)—Betterment Makes It Easy
Have 401(k)s from old jobs lying around? Betterment makes rolling them over into a low-cost IRA account simple and easy.
Explore your first goal
This is a great place to start—an emergency fund for life's unplanned hiccups. A safety net is a conservative portfolio.
Whether it's a long way off or just around the corner, we'll help you save for the retirement you deserve.
If you want to invest and build wealth over time, then this is the goal for you. This is an excellent goal type for unknown future needs or money you plan to pass to future generations.