Betterment’s Tax Coordination service is our fully automated version of an investment strategy known as asset location—and it comes at no extra cost to you.
Once you’ve set up your Tax-Coordinated Portfolio (TCP), we will manage your assets as a single portfolio across all included legal accounts, using every dividend and deposit to optimize the location of the assets. We’ll also rebalance in order to improve your asset location when we see opportunities to do so—without causing taxes.
We’ll generally place assets that we expect to be taxed at higher rates in your tax-advantaged accounts (IRAs and 401(k)s), which have big tax breaks. We’ll generally place assets that we expect to be taxed at lower rates in your taxable account, since you’ll owe taxes on dividends and any realized capital gains each year.
You could benefit from Tax Coordination if…
- You are investing in at least two of the following types of Betterment accounts for retirement:
- Individual Taxable account [Retirement or General Investing]
- Tax-deferred account [Traditional IRA, SEP IRA, or Betterment for Business 401(k)]
- Tax-exempt account [Roth IRA or Betterment for Business Roth 401(k)]
- You are investing for the long term and your coordinated goals have the same time horizon.
We don’t recommend Tax Coordination if…
- Your federal marginal tax bracket is 12% or below.
- The accounts you plan to coordinate have different time horizons.
- You plan to make a significant withdrawal in the near future from only one of the goals you are considering including in your Tax-Coordinated Portfolio.
Using Investment Goals at Betterment
Goal-based investing. The idea is prized among financial advisors—and our team at Betterment—but to the everyday investor, it’s often difficult to put into practice.
Everything You Need to Know About Required Minimum Distributions
We’ll walk you through everything you need to know about required minimum distributions (RMDs), including rules and deadlines.
5 Hacks to Get More from Your IRA
You already know that contributing to an IRA is a smart move for building retirement savings. Take it a step further by using these five hacks to make the most of your money.
Explore your first goal
This is a great place to start—an emergency fund for life's unplanned hiccups. A safety net is a conservative portfolio.
Whether it's a long way off or just around the corner, we'll help you save for the retirement you deserve.
If you want to invest and build wealth over time, then this is the goal for you. This is an excellent goal type for unknown future needs or money you plan to pass to future generations.
Explore your first step toward a better financial future
Invest without the hassle. We manage your portfolio, offer expert allocation advice, and take care of the manual trading work.
Whether retirement is a long way off or just around the corner, we'll help you plan for the retirement you deserve.
Get answers to your questions about Betterment. We can help you become more confident with your money.