- First, write the name of the person or business you’re paying on the “Pay to the order of” line.
- Then, write today’s date on the “Date” line.
- Spell out the amount of the check on the line right below the “Pay to the order of” line, and then write the amount of the check in numbers in the little box with a dollar sign. Example: One hundred dollars and zero cents; $100.00
- Finally, sign the front of the check.
- If necessary, you can add an optional note for the person or business you’re paying in the memo line.
What to avoid when writing a check:
- Do not sign or print your name on the back of the check.
- Do not give or mail incomplete checks.