Betterment has the ability to electronically transfer nearly all ETFs and cash, as well as many mutual funds and single stocks, provided they are held in an ACATS eligible account. When determining if your account is eligible for an ACATS transfer, we verify that the account meets all of the following requirements:
- Held by a provider that supports ACATS transfers.
- Classified as an ACAT-eligible brokerage account by your current provider.
- Legacy mutual fund accounts, annuities, and employer-sponsored plans (like a 401(k) or pension plan), generally, cannot be ACATSd.
- Contains investments Betterment has the ability to transfer in-kind.
- Have an account balance greater than $8,000.
Accounts Eligible For Instant, Paperless ACATS Transfer
At this time, Betterment requires you to connect any individual taxable and IRA accounts that you’d like to be considered for paperless ACATS transfer. Paperless ACATS transfers can be initiated directly from your Betterment account, with the click of a button.
Note: We also support ACATS transfers for some joint accounts, trust accounts, and inherited IRAs but you’ll need to work with one of our transfer specialists, rather than through the website, as instant and paperless transfers are not yet an option for those account types. Please see the “Accounts Eligible For Manual Paper ACATS” section below.
- Learn how to instantly connect your account(s).