To create an additional account, click “Add New” from the menu after logging in from a web browser. Or, on the mobile app, log in and click on "Add goal/account."
There you’ll find a list of available account types to choose from. There are no minimum balance requirements for additional accounts.
Betterment supports the following account types:
- Roth IRA
- Traditional IRA
- SEP IRA (single participant only)
- Inherited IRA
- To set up an inherited IRA, please contact us.
- Individual taxable accounts
- Joint taxable accounts with rights of survivorship
- 529 accounts
- Only available through employers who use Betterment at Work for bundled 401(k) benefits.
- Trust accounts
- Note that you must log in from a web browser, not the mobile app, to open a trust.
- Cash Reserve - a cash account
- You can also hold funds for specific goals in cash held in Cash Reserve.
- Checking account provided by nbkc bank, Member FDIC.
Betterment does not support the following account types:
- Custodial or minor accounts
- Solo 401(k)s (for more information about our 401(k) plans, see Betterment for Business)
- Self-directed accounts (you cannot select your own funds or specific stocks)
All customers must be at least 18 years of age in order to consent to all our agreements.