How can I change my name on my debit card?

You can begin this process by logging into your Betterment account from a web browser and navigating to the Settings page. Click the “Edit” button next to your current Legal Name. You’ll be prompted to upload two forms of proof of the change (an updated ID and legal documentation) using the secure link provided. 

We currently accept any of the following valid IDs:

  • US state-issued driver's license
  • US passport
  • US state ID card
  • US military ID card (front and back)
  • US issued Visa
  • US permanent residence card (green card)

Please note that we are unable to accept temporary IDs.

Accepted legal documents may include:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Name change document
  • Divorce Decree (specifically the page that indicates the name change)

Once you’ve submitted your documents, you’ll be prompted to use our chatbot on that page to confirm your mailing address and  let us know that you also need to have your Debit Card updated and reissued.