The Benefits of Tax Loss Harvesting+
We’ve automated tax loss harvesting which can help you save on taxes over time. Learn about the benefits of TLH+.
Tax loss harvesting is the practice of selling an asset that has experienced a loss. The sold asset is replaced by a similar one, helping to maintain your risk level and your expected returns. By realizing, or “harvesting” a loss, you can:
- Offset taxes on realized capital gains.
- Reduce tax liability by reducing your income.
Realized losses on investments can offset gains and reduce ordinary taxable income by as much as $3,000 per year.
We do this all for you—at no additional cost—with our automated Tax Loss Harvesting+ feature.
You could benefit from Tax Loss Harvesting+ if…
- You are investing in a taxable investment account.
- You plan to donate to charity or leave your assets to your heirs.
- The IRS allows you to offset your realized capital gains with realized capital losses.
- The IRS allows you to reduce up to $3,000 from your ordinary income.
We don’t recommend Tax Loss Harvesting+ if…
- Your future tax bracket will be higher than your current tax bracket.
- You can currently realize capital gains at a 0% tax rate.
- Under current law, this may be the case if your taxable income is below $39,375 as a single filer or $78,750 if you are married filing jointly.
- You are planning to withdraw a large portion of your taxable assets in the next 12 months.
- You risk causing wash sales due to having substantially identical investments elsewhere.
If You Live In Pennsylvania, These Tax Rules Might Help You Save On Taxes
If you're a Pennsylvanian, it’s important to be aware of certain tax rules so that you can save more of your hard-earned money.
If You Live In New Jersey, These Tax Rules Might Help You Save On Taxes
If you're a New Jerseyan, it’s important to be aware of certain tax rules so that you can save more of your hard-earned money.
Jon Stein on “How I Built This:” Reflecting On Our Story
Jon Stein joins NPR’s Guy Raz for an episode of “How I Built This” to look back at how Betterment started, what mistakes were made, and how they turned into learnings for the robo-advisor we are today.
Explore your first goal
Our high-yield account built to help you earn more on every dollar you save.
This is a great place to start—an emergency fund for life's unplanned hiccups. A safety net is a conservative portfolio.
Whether it's a long way off or just around the corner, we'll help you save for the retirement you deserve.
If you want to invest and build wealth over time, then this is the goal for you. This is an excellent goal type for unknown future needs or money you plan to pass to future generations.