Overview of Betterment’s Pricing
Learn how our transparent pricing works for our Digital and Premium plans. We also provide answers to questions about free time on your account and our satisfaction guarantee.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- What does Betterment cost?
- What am I getting for Betterment’s fee?
- What is included in the Betterment Digital plan?
- Where do I find the total fees paid to Betterment?
- How do I see my remaining free time?
- Am I still charged the whole fee even if I don’t see the product for the whole year?
- Can you household accounts for families?
What does Betterment cost?
Our Digital plan costs just 0.25% per year and offers unlimited access to automated portfolio management, tax-efficient investing features, personalized financial dashboards and award-winning customer support. This plan has no minimum balance requirement.
Or, you can elect into our Premium plan for just 0.40% per year, which makes you eligible for unlimited calls with our team of CFP® professionals and licensed financial experts. This plan requires a minimum balance of $100,000.
Our single management fee covers everything you need, including transactions, trades, transfers, rebalancing, advice, and account administration, among other things. Unlike other companies, Betterment does not charge you transaction fees to buy and sell securities.
The fund fees charged by the ETF providers are not something assessed or collected by Betterment. Fund fees are charged by the fund itself for management of investments and ongoing administration. Fees are collected by the fund directly from its assets, which can show up as slightly lower returns. These fund fees are assessed no matter where you purchase the shares of the ETF. The average of these, when weighting of the portfolio is taken into consideration, is approximately 0.06% to 0.17%, depending on your allocation. Note that the range is subject to change depending on current fund prices.
401(k) accounts through Betterment For Business are subject to a separate fee schedule and those balances aren’t included when determining your eligibility for Betterment Plus and Betterment Premium.
What am I getting for Betterment’s fee?
Betterment’s straightforward fee is a great value. Beyond being the simplest way to invest intelligently, we offer a number of unique features under the hood which simplify your life as an investor and helps you get better returns:
- Dollar-based transactions/fractional shares. When you transfer money to Betterment, every penny is invested into your portfolio as fractional shares, so all your money is always working for you.
- Better diversification. Any single fund has its shortcomings. By balancing your portfolio among multiple funds, Betterment gives you appropriate exposure to small cap and value stocks while still maintaining a balance of large cap and growth stocks. Purchasing these ETFs directly and maintaining the proper balance over time would be a very demanding task.
- Rebalancing. The composition of your portfolio will naturally drift over time as the market fluctuates, but Betterment rebalances you back to your desired allocation using cash flows, or whenever your portfolio composition drifts by 3%. Because we use your existing cash flows, we rarely have to make a sale to rebalance. Experts agree that regularly rebalancing your portfolio can increase returns and reduce risks, but even the most disciplined investors don’t do it because of all the work involved.
- Tax Efficiency. When we do make a sale, we sell your losses (short term, then long term) first, then your gains (long term, then short term) to minimize your tax bill. Additionally we offer services to make your portfolio more tax efficient by enabling Tax Loss Harvesting and our Tax Coordinated Portfolio.
- Better access to your own money. Your money is always available without a transaction fee, and without a minimum balance requirement. If you have an unexpected event and need your money, it can be back in your checking account in 4 to 5 business days.
- Integrated and actionable advice. Our advice and retirement planning tools give you actionable guidance, which we help you execute immediately.
What is included in the Betterment Digital plan?
Our Betterment Digital plan includes:
- Fractional shares and free trades
- Our low-cost, globally diversified investment portfolio, tailored for tax-advantaged or taxable accounts
- Automatic rebalancing
- Tax Loss Harvesting+, which can boost your after-tax returns by an estimated 0.77% per year
- Tax-Coordinated Portfolio, the most sophisticated form of asset location on the market (it can increase after-tax growth by an estimated 15% over 30 years)
- A personalized retirement plan
- The ability to sync external financial accounts which allows customers to get advice on assets held outside of Betterment
- Award-winning customer service.
Betterment Digital is our lowest-cost plan at 0.25%, making our services among the lowest-cost in the industry. We’re continuing to deliver a greater value than any other service available. All of our features are designed to grow† your money more efficiently and effectively than any other service out there. We will never stop delivering services that improve how much more you take home, and there’s so much more to come.
Where do I find the total fees paid to Betterment?
Your total fees can be found on “Activity“, filtered by “Fees”, for a customizable time frame. You can then download a CSV statement to quickly total your fees.
How do I see my remaining free time?
You can review your pricing plan and remaining free time by clicking “Settings” from the menu and then “Accounts“.
Am I still charged the whole fee even if I don’t see the product for the whole year?
No, you are not. Betterment’s fee is prorated across the year based on the average daily balance in your account, and a portion of this is charged quarterly (every 3 months). So if you withdraw money from your account, your average daily balance will decrease and your fee for the quarter will reduce accordingly. If you withdraw your entire balance before the end of the quarter we will simply charge the prorated fee at that time.
We do not have fees for accounts with a $0 balance, so you can still keep your account open without penalty.
Can you household accounts for families?
Betterment offers automatic householding for customers who open joint accounts or establish taxpayer relationships with one another when turning on TLH+. We also offer manual householding for any two customers who reside at the same address. If you’d like to be householded, or removed from an existing household, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can household your accounts to combine your balances for the purposes of meeting minimum balance requirements for our various plans.
What can I expect during my financial consultation?
We assist our customers with a broad range of financial topics, including investment advice, retirement planning, spotting hidden fees, lowering your taxes, transfers and more. Our team of licensed experts help you apply our automated strategies to your personal situation and can supplement our advice in areas our website does not yet cover.
To make the most out of your consultation, we recommend syncing all of your external accounts beforehand. If you are married, we recommend completing your initial consultation with your spouse.
If you are in the “Premium” plan, you can schedule a consult by clicking “Schedule a call” from the bottom of any goal’s “Plan”, or by clicking here.
What is your Satisfaction Guarantee?
We’re confident in the value we’re offering to you with our investment products. If for any reason you are not completely satisfied with your Betterment investment account, we will do everything we can to make it right, up to and including waiving Betterment’s management fees on your investment account for the next 90 days.
Simply reach out to our support team if you are not satisfied—we’re here to help.
Betterment’s Founder Is Looking Forward
We’ve made a lot of headway towards our mission to help you make the most of your money over the last decade. I can’t wait for you to see what’s coming next.
Investing’s Pain Gap: What You Put Up With To Earn Returns
Markets are frustrating—especially when you look at a year’s worth of returns. Year to year, you can easily experience what we call the pain gap. The key is to not let the pain gap create a behavior gap between your account and market performance.
Congress Just Passed the SECURE Act—Here’s What You Should Know
The government is taking steps to make your retirement more secure. Find out how the new changes might affect you.
Explore your first goal
Our high-yield account built to help you earn more on every dollar you save.
This is a great place to start—an emergency fund for life's unplanned hiccups. A safety net is a conservative portfolio.
Whether it's a long way off or just around the corner, we'll help you save for the retirement you deserve.
If you want to invest and build wealth over time, then this is the goal for you. This is an excellent goal type for unknown future needs or money you plan to pass to future generations.