Today is May 24, 2012.
- May 24 is Bermuda Day, the first day that local residents will swim in the sea. It’s also traditionally the first day on which Bermuda shorts are worn as business attire.
- Julius Caesar Germanicus, the Roman commander, was born on this day in 15 BC.
- The New York Public Library opened 101 years ago today.
- On this day in 1930, Babe Ruth hit a home run in both games of a doubleheader, giving him 9 in one week.
- In 1956, the first Eurovision Song Contest was held in Lugano, Switzerland.
- On May 24 1970, Peter Queen quit Fleetwood Mac to join a religious cult.
- Mountain climbing, 15-year-old Sherpa Temba Tsheri, became the youngest person to climb to the top of Mount Everest on this day in 2001.
Today is also Betterment’s 2nd birthday. It might not mean much – hey someone turns two every day – but to us it’s a pretty special one. This time two years ago we launched at TechCrunch Disrupt. It was a thrilling moment and we haven’t stopped since – growing to a team of 14 (and hiring!), adding 12,000 funded accounts, and 50 million dollars worth of assets under management.
We hope that we’ll look back at Betterment, the way it was in 2012, and say:
“Can you believe we only had one office? Isn’t it crazy we were only available in one country back then? Remember there were some people still using checks – not our customers of course – and we thought mobile was so cutting edge! Now it’s all about [insert crazy tech development we can’t even fathom right now].”
Yeah… can’t wait for that day, but for today – we’re pretty chuffed at how far we’ve come. Thanks for being with us thus far. Happy birthday Betterment!
Our Team of Experts
Our executive investing committee includes experts from a range of backgrounds. We make strategic decisions based on a systematic, evidence-based approach.
Personal Investing Strategies Tailored For You
We’ve long tailored customer portfolios based on factors like goal type, and risk tolerance. Now, we’re further personalizing our advice at the level of the portfolio strategy itself.
What’s Inside the Betterment Portfolio Strategy?
Explore the asset classes in Betterment's recommended set of portfolios. Then, take a look at the exchange-traded funds (ETFs) underlying each part of the portfolio strategy.
How would you like to get started?
Your first step toward a smarter investing future starts here.
Create a Betterment account
Go ahead and join the smart, modern way to invest.
See what we can do for you
Tell us a bit about yourself, and we'll show you the benefits of investing with us.
Get a free investing checkup
Help us get a sense of your investing approach and see how you could improve.
Transfer a 401(k) or an IRA
Move an existing retirement account into a Betterment IRA.
Download the mobile app
Enjoy the Betterment experience anywhere on the go.