Today is May 24, 2012.
- May 24 is Bermuda Day, the first day that local residents will swim in the sea. It’s also traditionally the first day on which Bermuda shorts are worn as business attire.
- Julius Caesar Germanicus, the Roman commander, was born on this day in 15 BC.
- The New York Public Library opened 101 years ago today.
- On this day in 1930, Babe Ruth hit a home run in both games of a doubleheader, giving him 9 in one week.
- In 1956, the first Eurovision Song Contest was held in Lugano, Switzerland.
- On May 24 1970, Peter Queen quit Fleetwood Mac to join a religious cult.
- Mountain climbing, 15-year-old Sherpa Temba Tsheri, became the youngest person to climb to the top of Mount Everest on this day in 2001.
Today is also Betterment’s 2nd birthday. It might not mean much – hey someone turns two every day – but to us it’s a pretty special one. This time two years ago we launched at TechCrunch Disrupt. It was a thrilling moment and we haven’t stopped since – growing to a team of 14 (and hiring!), adding 12,000 funded accounts, and 50 million dollars worth of assets under management.
We hope that we’ll look back at Betterment, the way it was in 2012, and say:
“Can you believe we only had one office? Isn’t it crazy we were only available in one country back then? Remember there were some people still using checks – not our customers of course – and we thought mobile was so cutting edge! Now it’s all about [insert crazy tech development we can’t even fathom right now].”
Yeah… can’t wait for that day, but for today – we’re pretty chuffed at how far we’ve come. Thanks for being with us thus far. Happy birthday Betterment!
Betterment’s Model for Financial Advice: An Overview
Achieving your financial goals is only possible if you plan effectively. Saving enough, choosing the right accounts, deciding when you can buy a house or when to retire—all of these are essential decisions even before you build an optimal portfolio.
The Benefits of Tax Loss Harvesting+
We’ve automated tax loss harvesting which can help you save on taxes over time.
Cash Analysis Methodology
Betterment's cash analysis aims to provide smart feedback when we think you have extra cash that could be earning you more value if it were in a higher yield account.
Explore your first goal
This is a great place to start—an emergency fund for life's unplanned hiccups. A safety net is a conservative portfolio.
Whether it's a long way off or just around the corner, we'll help you save for the retirement you deserve.
If you want to invest and build wealth over time, then this is the goal for you. This is an excellent goal type for unknown future needs or money you plan to pass to future generations.